Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Upon reading an excerpt from the Koran

This is me trying to squeeze one more task into an already busy and stressful day. I could barely get anything done; in fact, I'm still supposed to read two short stories and finish my math homework by Thursday. Right now however I should probably be catching up on sleep so I can stop being late to first period. I'm sick of coming in to a quiet room catching the attention of everyone as they try to finish up their bell writes. Just know that most of the time it isn't my fault. Usually it's siblings or the traffic that's to blame. It's not easy knowing when the best time to leave is when you live two cities away from the school and have to commute across a street that's infamous for being very busy and occasionally chaotic. Any number of obstacles could come up, and they have. Moreover I haven't even talked to my friends back at my old school this week, which just makes the stress worse. Every spare moment I have I waste by trying to contact them and failing.
So anyway, to the topic. We were all assigned to write a blog about the excerpt from the Koran we read as homework. I noticed almost immediately that it was a retelling of the story of Joseph, son of Jacob. Or did the title indicate that? I'm not going to bother checking.
What made it so different from the way the old testament tells it is that it was written with more detail. Really, it could be compared alongside the version in the Bible and except for some details which on a grand scale don't really matter it wouldn't disagree with it at all. It seemed as if it was meant to be written that way. Now, I myself had neither the time, energy, nor motivation to actually open my King James Version and see how the accounts compare, but from what I remember it isn't too different. And I guess if there are certain ways the King James Version is worded that disallow certain interpretations, it may just as well be possible that this account could be compared alongside another more popular version of the Bible, such as the one the old-world Hebrews used. This is just lazy speculation so I'm not sure.
I apologize for not being so quick to factualize and muse in this blog. I really need to be getting to bed earlier and I simply don't have enough time or energy to pour all my philosophical soul into a required class assignment.

No comments: