In class we had an interesting lesson about Taoism and Wu-Wei. We were also asked to write a blog on it, or any of the other stuff we learned today. So this is me posting my thoughts on it.
As I mentioned, the ancient arts of Kung Fu center greatly around Taoism. The basic teachings of Kung Fu state things that are basically Taoist beliefs.
From what I've studied personally, the most basic teaching of Kung Fu is that one does not learn Kung Fu. It is awakened from within them. Take a look at animals. How do they know how to defend themselves? Even from birth, a kitten claws with the exact same motion as a fully-grown tiger. Obviously animals don't learn how to fight. How are humans different? Well, first of all, we don't rely on natural instincts as much as animals do. From a young age we're taught to use reason instead of instinct, so we've never developed our instincts. So you can clearly see a connection to Taoism already. It applies perfectly to Wu-Wei. If we had just submit ourselves to the natural order, there would be no need to study martial arts. We would naturally know how to use our bodies to defend ourselves.
Of course I'm considering the ups and downs of that way of thinking. The only advantage seems to be that instinct is directly tied to having a substantial knowledge of survival. However, the way we as humans have formed our society, those who do not learn reason and use what we glorify as "higher thinking" will not succeed, and cannot survive in a civil environment. Instead of starting what we're born with, all we can do is learn what we have to in order to follow a system put here by the fools before us. Our society restricts us from following natural order, ergo it restricts us from finding harmony with the world. It seems the only times we can feel true peace is when we remove ourselves from the bonds of everyday drudgeries. I may not look or act it, but I enjoy the great outdoors, probably a lot more than the next person. There is nowhere I can find more happiness than on riverpaths, in quiet meadows, or among the mountains and canyons. My most cherished memory was spent on a rock jutting out the side of a mountain, looking down at the valleys, letting the nature lift away the burdens of my mind, if just for an hour or two.
But I guess this is a principle of Taoism too. The Universe contains complementary opposites, Yin and Yang. This is also a principle taught in the LDS doctrine. Opposition in all things, right?. For how could we know true happiness if we have never experienced the deepest of sorrows? What is good without evil also? Where would we find peace if there was no strife?
I guess ultimately, that's what modern society is good for: So that people can remove themselves from it to find peace. Heheh.
The Living Syllabus--Unit 1 Becoming an L/T
17 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment