Thursday, November 13, 2008

Twilight 4

Now that my personal story is aside, I have an announcement to make.
I am re-reading Twilight.
It's been a few years. I've learned a lot more about grammar since, and I must say...I don't remember the text being nearly this frustrating.
"I stared without breathing across the long room,..."
Second paragraph in, and Meyer has already set a GLORIOUS standard for the way she constructs her sentences.
If there's any one thing Meyer could actually improve on, it's her lack of proper nouns. She displayed a gross overuse of "it". What is "it"? Half the time she says "it", there's no indication of what "it" is.
Second sentence in the first chapter and Meyer has committed yet another abominable literary sin: A character making a precise measurement, without inferring that they were told so by an instrument. How does Bella know that it's 75 degrees Fahrenheit? Is she guessing? If so, why doesn't she say it was about 75 degrees? Rather, why use numbers at all? Why not just say it was balmy? I don't know how she feels about 75 degrees. She might think that's cold, having lived in Phoenix. But Meyer isn't telling us how Bella feels. All she did was somehow calculate the temperature. Is she a human being, or a computer? If I wanted to know the temperature, I would have read the output for a thermometer. As this is a first-person narrative, I'm more interested in how the character feels, not just what they observe.
That's not to say observations aren't important. What was rather frustrating in this respect was Meyer's "rule of one". Thoughts/feelings, dialog/conversation, actions/movement: no two of these three essential literary elements could occupy the same paragraph. Is this what people mean when they say Meyer has a "unique style"? Because to me it just looks like a really good way to KILL THE TEXT. If they're not used together when suitable, there are crappy transitions that make no sense.
And with that, I will tell you what frustrated me most of all. Three words: CHOPPY SCENE PROGRESSION.
My friends, this is something a writer should never EVER do. And in the first three pages, Meyer breaks the rule. First, Bella is in a car, and her mom is driving her to the airport. Narrative, narrative, thoughts, feelings, dialog, etc. All of the sudden...WHOOP! She's getting on the plane. Does anything happen in between that? Is there a terminal? How long does she have to wait for the flight? What does she do while she waits? What does her mom do?
Next, she gets in her dad's car. It hints here and there about him driving, but never says he started the car...eh?
Show-don't-tell...here's where things need to die.
Breakfast with Charlie was a quiet event.
Would you mind DESCRIBING it for me? Actually, I'd be quite interested in this scene, since it may actually spark some CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, Heaven forbid!
And the general way she styles her sentences: "This happened and then this, which did this." That's...not good writing.
COMMA ATTACK!: Though their noses, all their features, were straight, perfect, angular.
THAT IS ONE BAAAAAAAD SENTENCE. Can't get any worse, right?
But all this is not why I couldn't look away.
...WRONG! And now...MORE COMMAS! I stared because their faces, so different, so similar, were all devastatingly, inhumanly beautiful.
And people call it a SAGA?!! Four fat novels of this "writing"?
Done with the first chapter, and already so many blasphemies committed. WHEN WILL IT END.

1 comment:

Michael J said...

I fear for the safety of your mind. Unless you find some really good literature to combat the effects of this book, the result could be irreversible.